Our Girl Children:
• There are around 422.000 girl children (0-18) living in Armenia.
• Two out of five girl children (42.8%) live in poverty, and almost four out of hundred (3.7%) live in extreme poverty.
• In Armenia, families preferring a girl child are six times less than families preferring a boy child.
• On average each year Armenia loses around 1400 girls because of prenatal sex selection.iii
• There is already a surplus of 45.000 boys (0-18) in the countryi, and the tendency continues.
• In 2011, 20287 girls and 23160 boys were born setting a sex-at-birth ratio of 100 girls to 114 boys, while the normal ratio would have been 100 girls/102-106 boys.iv
• Most popular names given to newborn girls in Armenia are Maneh, Milena, and Elen (2011) :
Our Girls When They Grow Up:
• Study (60 per cent of people with higher education in Armenia are womeniv).
• Get married at the average age of 24.6 (2010)i.
• Have 1-2 children on average (two women have three children on average) (2010)i.
• Try to find their place (70 per cent of officially registered unemployed in Armenia are women)iv.
• Live on average up to 77 years old - seven years more than men.i