On December 23, 2012, the Social Democrat Hunchakian Party (SDHK) convened an extended meeting of the board, with the upcoming presidential election on the meeting agenda.
Following the extended meeting, the party convened an extraordinary sitting where it decided to support the incumbent president Serzh Sargsyan in February's election.
The decision was reached taking into consideration the following;
1. the reforms effected by the president and governed in the recent years
2. the political will of the president and government to fight corruption
3. the steep rise in the freedom of press
4. the termination of political repression against oppositionists
5. the specific steps to eliminate the atmosphere of impunity
6. the achievements in foreign policy and new challenges
7. the social accent of the election platform
8. the decisive posture in the Karbakh issue
9. the determination to ensure Artsakh's security and protection of interests.
At the same time the SDHK will continue to act as an independent political force and reserves the right to be critical of the president and the government. The party is hopeful that after re-election Serzh Sargsyan will
1. fight against oligarchy
2. eliminate monopolies
3. separate business from politics
4. fight against emigration
5. Pursue international recognition of the Genocide
6. protect the rights of Artsakh people